Serenity Prayer by Reinhold Niebuhr

Always lovely - it's a shame that we see it so often that its loveliness can be overlooked.

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.
Living one day at a time; enjoying one moment at a time; accepting hardship as the pathway to peace.
Taking, as He did, this sinful world as it is, not as I would have it; trusting that He will make all things right if I surrender to His will; that I may be reasonably happy in this life, and supremely happy with Him in the next.
Amen

I love the word 'serenity'. It embodies much of what I long for in life. And its something that increases with age - unlike most other things which decrease with age!

4 comments

  1. Anonymous  

    1 April 2009 at 23:32

    I love this prayer but didn't know it was longer than the first three lines..thank you!!

  2. Kath Williamson  

    1 April 2009 at 23:36

    Yes - it's beautiful, isn't it? And actually quite challenging.

  3. Anonymous  

    2 April 2009 at 21:55

    Thought I'd look up what serenity actually means - various definitions but this one attracted me:
    a disposition free from stress or emotion or the absence of mental stress or anxiety
    So yes please, I'd like some of that! Thanks Kath, another one to make me think.

  4. Kath Williamson  

    2 April 2009 at 22:52

    Thank you. :-)