Here is a lovely old Celtic blessing which I found on this site. It is both very simple and very profound.

I think the first line is particularly deep - there is something of God in all things calm and serene. We can reach out and 'touch' that calm when we come across it - and we can reach and touch God in the peace and quietness of silence.

If you are one of those people who are frightened or wary of silence, take this simple prayer with you into just five minutes of silence. Read it silently and dwell on the part that speaks to you most. And I pray that you will be enfolded in the presence of God and the serenity of God's spirit.


Old Irish Blessing

You are the peace of all things calm
You are the place to hide from harm
You are the light that shines in dark
You are the heart's eternal spark
You are the door that's open wide
You are the guest who waits inside
You are the stranger at the door
You are the calling of the poor
You are my Lord and with me still
You are my love, keep me from ill
You are the light, the truth, the way
You are my Saviour this very day.

4 comments

  1. Unknown  

    4 November 2009 at 20:51

    love that prayer

  2. Kath Williamson  

    7 November 2009 at 00:57

    Yes it's beautiful, sue

  3. Jean Wise  

    7 November 2009 at 14:10

    beautiful prayer. thanks for reminding me of it. You have great content in this blog. I plan to add you to my blogroll. thanks for taking the time to share

  4. Kath Williamson  

    7 November 2009 at 17:54

    Thank you Jean. I like reading your stuff.