I have just had a very busy week - but my mind kept coming back to my blog - even when it should have been on other things! I think I am getting addicted!

But busyness has its penalties and, as a result, I am a little short on material at the moment. So I thought I would share with you a poem I have recently read. I love the writings of Edwina Gateley. My previous spiritual director pointed me in her direction, so I'm 'passing it on'.

This poem, called Train, can be found in her book Growing into God
ISBN 1-58051-080-9.


Train

Sitting on the subway train
shuddering its way
through the city of Chicago,
I saw the gang graffiti,
defiant and bold,
painted on the warehouse walls -
words of anger and violence -
screaming at the blank eyes
of innocent passengers
mindlessly staring out
through grubby windows.
And there,
in bright red,
surrounded by gang symbols,
four words stood large and bold:
"I LOVE YOU, MAMA."
My heart grieved
for unspoken story,
for the angry son who,
in the midst
of an act of rage,
remembered he loved him mama
and needed to tell
the world.
I hurt for his mama
the other woman,
who wept and prayed
that her son, so well beloved,
would be safe,
that her God,
ridiculously,
miraculously,
would raise him up
whole and healed.
And in the train, rocking,
I dreamed with her,
that God slipped through
graffitied walls and,
hot with a mother's love,
plucked up
and raised so high,
so gloriously,
the son
she loved so well.


 
 

5 comments

  1. Jackie Bellfield  

    14 February 2009 at 00:30

    beautiful - thanks Kath

  2. Anonymous  

    14 February 2009 at 02:36

    Wow!! God slipping thro' graffitied walls is an amazing concept!!

  3. Understanding Alice  

    15 February 2009 at 08:29

    That is good...

    hey, have you come across the online labyrinth? Its here: http://www.labyrinth.org.uk/ i have the kit, weve used it with young people, but it had just as a profound effect on their teachers as them :)

  4. Understanding Alice  

    15 February 2009 at 08:55

    ps my spritual director suggested for lent:

    live life love lent

    http://www.livelent.net/

  5. Kath Williamson  

    15 February 2009 at 12:46

    Hey - we've done Live Life Love Lent for the last couple of years. The first year we got the little books and then last year we persuaded a church member to produce our own tailored one. It wasn't quite as flashy but it worked really well.
    Will look at the labyrinth. I've done a couple in real life and the online one on the rejesus website but don't think I've been to the site you mention.
    Take care all of you, Kath