Gravity in Lent

My apologies to my readers for not updating this blog earlier. A much loved nephew of mine died at the weekend after two years of fighting cancer. He was 33 years old. So I have been a little preoccupied, to say the least. He was a wonderful man - funny, serious and committed, all at the same time - and he will be missed enormously.

And now its Ash Wednesday already. Actually, Lent feels an appropriate time for me to be entering just now. There is a gravity about Lent that has echoes with how I am currently feeling.

I have decided to do two things this Lent:

1. I am going to follow the Tearfund carbon fast and have made sure I don't neglect it by getting daily emails with the current day's suggested action. The action for today is this:


Day 1
Remove one light bulb from your home and live without it for the next 40 days. This will decrease your energy use and act as a reminder of what you are doing during Lent.


Now, I love light. I have a tendency to get gloomy thoughts during the days of winter, and I compensate by putting on lots of lights. So, for me, this will be an interesting fast. I am currently sitting in a hotel bedroom, so I have simply turned off one of the lights I would usually have on. When I get home - mmmm - which bulb shall I remove?! Perhaps I will be keen and remove two!

2. I am following an on-line weekly retreat called Days of Deepening Friendship. It gives a spiritual exercise for the week - something I will enjoy and, hopefully, learn from. Again, I have registered to receive emails so that I do not miss any week.

Note: If you wish to follow Reflections by email, you can enter your email address in the blue sidebar where it says 'Subscribe to Reflections by email'.

I wonder what others are doing for Lent? Giving something up? Doing something extra? Nothing? I would love to hear your answers in the comments to this blog.

One final thing - I have begun to twitter - on behalf of Reflections. You can find my twitterings - or 'tweets' - on the Reflectionsblog homepage. Please let me know if you tweet and I'll start to follow you. Are some of you completely bemused, now? Then just give it a go!

With my prayers for a challenging and rewarding Lent.

7 comments

  1. Understanding Alice  

    25 February 2009 at 22:06

    So sorry to read of your Nephew... my husband and i will be praying for you and your famiy.

    I'm following the carbon fast too, and a little book called love life live lent.

    much blessing on you this Lent

  2. Kath Williamson  

    25 February 2009 at 22:41

    thank you, Dormouse

  3. Anonymous  

    26 February 2009 at 21:40

    Decided to declutter for Lent Kath - completely emptied my email inbox at work and it feels wonderful, starting on the home and not sure where to start with my mind but thought doing these things first might help to find time in my mind for the important things, especially people.

    Thinking of you Kath, hope to see you soon. x

  4. Kath Williamson  

    26 February 2009 at 22:56

    Thanks Jayne. Will be in the North West more now, thank goodness, so hope to see you. Declutter for Lent? Mmmmmm....that one sounds like hard work!!

  5. Anonymous  

    27 February 2009 at 15:24

    Following the church calendar is something I'm trying to learn more about. But, no, I currently don't do anything specific for Lent.

    Welcome, btw, to High Calling Blogs.

  6. Anonymous  

    1 March 2009 at 23:12

    Afew weeks ago David introduced us to "Drudgery Sunday" courtesy of Job 7. The reading and David's sermon have led me to reflect a lot about the drudgery in my work and in everyday life and how this is rewarded by the pleasureable, rewarding and satisfying tasks and activities. This was further emphasised by Pauline, at the quiet morning, who spoke about mundane tasks, such as washing up, for God and with recognition of his love for us all. What better time than Lent to continue these reflections. I have been giving up alcohol every Lent for many years now. This year I am questioning as to how meanigfull this really is. After all these years has it become just a habit?

  7. Kath Williamson  

    8 March 2009 at 23:01

    Thanks, Tony, for your contribution. Yes, it's good to examine our habits and customs, isn't it? I hope you have many blessings this Lent - including doing the washing up as work for God!