Wikipedia contains a useful article on Lectio Divina.

The only 'nit' I would 'pick' with it is that it talks about putting aside a time of one hour each day to pray in this way. Now, that seems to me OK for nuns and monks, but for your common-or-garden working wo/man that appears to be a trifle ambitious!

But let's look at what Wikipedia says. It talks about how the method of Lectio Divina has traditionally been described as having four parts: Lectio, Meditatio, Oratio and Contemplatio. All of these together making a "Feast on the Word".

So now you see why chocolate is particularly appropriate! This is how I see it in, er - well, chocolatey terms -

Lectio
Reading the passage: taking a lovely bite of the chocolate - nice and slowly...m.m.m.m....

Meditatio
Mulling over part of the passage: letting that wonderful chocolate melt deliciously and slowly in your mouth!

Oratio
Opening to God in a conversation: telling God how fabulous his chocolate is - then moving on to an intimate chat.

Contemplatio
Loving, wordless focus on God: just resting with God with that lovely 'satisfied' post-chocolate feeling!

Would you like to try it with another passage? Perhaps Psalm 23?

The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures;
he leads me beside still waters;
he restores my soul.
He leads me in right paths
for his name’s sake.

Even though I walk through the darkest valley,
I fear no evil;
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff—
they comfort me.

You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies;
you anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
all the days of my life,
and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord
my whole life long.

Peace be with you.

8 comments

  1. Understanding Alice  

    2 February 2009 at 23:09

    Thought you might like this version of psalm 23 i have ina frame in our front room...

    Psalm 23
    (A Japanese version)

    The Lord is my pacesetter I shall not rush,
    He makes me stop for quiet intervals
    Which restore my serenity.
    He leads me in ways of efficiency
    And His guidance is peace.
    Even though I have a great many things
    To accomplish each day, I will not fret,
    For His presence is here,
    His timelessness, His importance
    Will keep me in balance.
    He prepares refreshment and renewal
    In the midst of my activity,
    By anointing my mind with His oils of tranquillity
    My cup of joyous energy overflows.
    Truly harmony and effectiveness
    Shall be the fruit of my hours,
    For I shall walk in the pace of my Lord
    And dwell in His house forever.

  2. Kath Williamson  

    2 February 2009 at 23:26

    Lovely, dormouse.

  3. Jackie Bellfield  

    3 February 2009 at 00:17

    such a good idea meditation by chocolate - cool - am I allowed!!!

  4. Anonymous  

    4 February 2009 at 14:11

    Why do you need permission?? It's not a sin really!!

  5. Anonymous  

    4 February 2009 at 22:03

    Lovely Kath. Just sat down with a cuppa and a dairy milk chocolate bar and enjoyed every mouthful as I read and contemplated this beautiful Psalm. Thank you.

  6. Kath Williamson  

    4 February 2009 at 22:54

    My pleasure, Jayne

  7. Understanding Alice  

    7 February 2009 at 12:46

    just thought you might like to know, one of the christian union groups i run, they liked this too... especially as i brought chocolate :)

  8. Kath Williamson  

    8 February 2009 at 21:27

    :)
    yummy