I have already mentioned some Ignatian ways of praying in my posts Spiritual Chocolate and Are you a Martha or a Mary? Or a bit of both?

Ignatius of LoyolaIgnatius of Loyola, as a young man, was, in his own words, "a man given over to the vanities of the world, and took a special delight in the exercise of arms, with a great and vain desire of winning glory."

After serious injury, sustained during a battle, he was forced to convalesce for months. During this time he daydreamed of romance and glory - but strangely was left somewhat restless by these daydreams. He then began to imagine he was like one of the early saints of the church - and discovered that these types of daydreams didn't leave him restless - but calmer and more peaceful.

That was the start of his explorations into Christian spirituality - and into himself. If you want to read more about his life, it's told very readably at www.jesuit.org.uk.

Ignatius also penned some famous prayers. One of these is his prayer on the subject of surrender. Here it is...

Surrender

Take, Lord, all my liberty, my memory, my understanding and my whole will.
You have given me all that I have, all that I am, and I surrender all to your divine will.
Give me only Your love and Your grace.
With this I am rich enough, and I have no more to ask.

If I had to pick a number one prayer then this would be it!
It reminds me of the Methodist Covenant Prayer - which is said in Methodist churches at the start of each year.

The Methodist Covenant Prayer

I am no longer my own but yours.
Put me to what you will,
rank me with whom you will; Methodist header
put me to doing, put me to suffering;
let me be employed for you,
or laid aside for you,
exalted for you,
or brought low for you;
let me be full,
let me be empty,
let me have all things,
let me have nothing:
I freely and wholeheartedly yield all things
to your pleasure and disposal.
And now, glorious and blessed God,
Father, Son and Holy Spirit,
you are mine and I am yours.

Can you make this prayer?

4 comments

  1. Jackie Bellfield  

    23 March 2009 at 22:32

    thanks for the reminder of the covenant prayer - powerful and important, sometimes heatbreaking but always true.

  2. Kath Williamson  

    31 March 2009 at 00:33

    Yes - very powerful stuff. Thank you for your comment.

  3. Janet Edge  

    4 April 2010 at 08:15

    Kath - Thank you for this prayer. I've been guided to this page and prayer on a day when I am feeling particularly low and very lost. I hope that because of it's power I may cope better with the huge worries ahead of me.

  4. Kath Williamson  

    10 April 2010 at 00:21

    You are in my thoughts and prayers Janet.