Act of Hope

St Augustine of Hippo


For Your mercies' sake, O Lord my God,
tell me what You are to me.
Say to my soul: "I am your salvation."
So speak that I may hear, O Lord;
my heart is listening;
open it that it may hear You,
and say to my soul: "I am your salvation."
After hearing this word,
may I come in haste to take hold of you.
Hide not Your face from me.
Let me see Your face even if I die,
lest I die with longing to see it.
The house of my soul is too small to receive You;
let it be enlarged by You.
It is all in ruins;
do You repair it.
There are thing in it,
I confess and I know,
that must offend Your sight.
But who shall cleanse it?
Or to what others besides You shall I cry out?
From my secret sins cleanse me, O Lord,
and from those of others spare your servant.

Amen.



See also Late Have I Loved You by St Augustine

2 comments

  1. Jean Wise  

    22 May 2010 at 10:50

    I was not familiar with this prayer. Thanks for sharing. love the line: "The house of my soul is too small to receive You;let it be enlarged by You." That will be my prayer today.

  2. Kath Williamson  

    22 May 2010 at 23:42

    Yes, Jean, it is a wonderful line. It jumped out at me too.