Firstly, my apologies for the recent lack of posts - a family bereavement has taken me out of circulation for a while.

Next, let's get down to business!
Tonight I attended a Bible Study about Psalms. It was a fascinating evening, and one of the highlights was to read a paraphrase of Psalm 23 written by David Kossoff. I'm sure I would be breaching some copyright if I were to add the whole psalm here. So here is a taster - the first few verses... followed by the last. Enjoy it!


The Old Twenty-Third
by David Kossoff

Lord, you are my shepherd,
And I'm very pleased, for I'm a bit of a sheep.
You taught me how to stop rushing about,
How to lie down and doze in a green field.
To stand by still water, by a calm lake.
And it's so restful. I'm grateful.
I think you show me the right paths, your ways.
I ought to use them more, in your name.
Otherwise it's sort of wasting your time.

...

Your goodness and mercy will follow me.
&nbsp &nbsp Every day of my life. I'm sure of it.
And on the last day, when I go from my house,
&nbsp &nbsp I'll go to yours. And live there. For ever.

From Psalm 23 An Anthology by KH Strange & RGE Sandbach: The Saint Andrew Press, Edinburgh.

One of the phrases that David Kossoff repeated throughout the psalm was 'I'm grateful.'

And are we? Grateful?

When was the last time you counted your blessings? From simply being alive, to having possessions - such as the computer or phone on which you are reading this! It's very easy to get hung up on the things we don't have, the talents that we would have liked to possess, the attention that seems to have passed us by.

But, if you are reading this, you are very blessed. For a start, you can read. Or you have someone to read to you.

It is an excellent exercise to lie in bed at night and think of five blessings that have been yours during the last day. Try it tonight!


I have written before about Psalm 23 - you can read it here.

3 comments

  1. Jennifer A.  

    13 May 2010 at 15:28

    "You taught me how to stop rushing about,
    How to lie down and doze in a green field."


    I enjoyed reading this, and I'm grateful that He's my shepherd and I don't need to rush about in anxiety.

  2. Kath Williamson  

    14 May 2010 at 21:46

    Me too!

  3. Jackie Bellfield  

    13 August 2010 at 01:37

    Stunning